Monday, September 7, 2009

OBX

The rain is pouring down, steady, heavily, with the strength of ocean winds intensifying the waves. The dune grasses are swaying and the tide is beautifully strong.

I have always loved this place, the ocean. In my minds eye, often, when trying to de-stress, I go there. It is a place that I can take myself, with eyes closed, and breathe.

This visit is different. This home we are staying in is huge. Decor is beautiful and uncluttered. Too many rooms, each sparse in adornment. Nothing inside distracts from the true beauty, which is outside.

There are 13 relatives on this vacation . My Mom, Her Brother and His Wife, My Sister, Her Husband, Their Children, My Brother and His Wife, Hubby and I, Our Daughter and Her Fiance.

I have not been on a holiday with my Mom since I was still at home. I have never gone away with my siblings other than childhood. I have never vacationed with my Aunt and Uncle. Hubby and I have done small adventures on weekends. My Daughter and I have only been on a vacation when she was 18 months old. She will be 26 tomorrow.

To say time together is overdue is a understatement.

Walking in the sand. Casting a line. Swimming in a pool. Sharing time with family. Not watching a clock.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your long overdo rest. It sounds wonderful..
Happy days my friend.

Ekanthapadhikan said...

Wow! You seem to be having a nice vacation. Enjoy yourselves. And do send my love to your big family out there with you.

Betty Manousos said...

Enjoy your rest. I do like your writing:)